HOLDEN COUNCIL ON AGING
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Conference Room – Senior Center
Present: Richard Mansfield; Louise Charbonneau; Sue Sullivan; Rev. Dr. Jerry Heslinga; Cheryl Owoc;
Barbara Anger; Albert Ferron; Jacquie Kelly; Rev. Dr. Paul Kennedy; Maureen Buffone.
Richard Mansfield welcomed the board to the last meeting until September. Albert Ferron moved to accept the minutes from the May 1, 2008 meeting, which was seconded by Rev. Heslinga and passed with the addition of Sue Sullivan’s name to Paragraph 1 on Page 2.
The Treasurer’s Report from the June 2nd meeting is as follows:
Commerce Bank $6,849.73
Leominster Credit Union $20,011.05
C.D. $21,059.00 (due 6/19/08)
The Friends voted to roll over the C.D. on June 19, 2008.
The Friends voted at their May meeting to give $300.00 for the Strawberry Festival to be held on June 16th. They also voted to purchase an additional hand controller and a new charger for the Wii machine.
Louise had informed the Friends’ Board that Cindy is retiring on June 30, 2008.
The next meeting of the Friends will be their annual meeting in September at a time to be announced.
Louise outlined June’s events as follows:
Monday, June 2…...…..Bemis Farms Herbal Container
Tuesday, June 3…….…Pen Pal Party
Thursday, June 5……...Movie “P.S. I Love You”
Thursday, June 5…...…Reminisce with Cindy
Wednesday, June 11…..CVS Brown Bag Program
Thursday, June 12……..Movie “Mad Money”
Friday, June 13……..…Father’s Day Celebration
Monday, June 16……...Strawberry Festival w/John Root
Tuesday, June 17….…..Photo ID’s
Wednesday, June 18..…Wii System Demonstration
Thursday, June 19….….International Day “Wales”
Tuesday, June 24……...Photo ID’s
Wednesday, June 25…..File of Life w/Girl Scouts and Oriol Healthcare
Thursday, June 26……..Richard Clark as Shakespeare
Monday, June 30………Red Cross Blood Drive
Louise informed the board that Cindy Beck has decided to retire, effective June 30th. Cindy would like to do some other things now that she is feeling well. She will start by volunteering at Tower Hill. Her position will be posted shortly.
Louise was also pleased to announce that the senior budget passed, and the moneys for the second van were included in this budget. This will make the purchase of the new van possible.
Two dates have been set for photo IDs on June 17th and June 24th for senior center volunteers. However, there are some Meals on Wheels drivers who do not want to wear photo IDs. Rick feels it should be a policy for the drivers to wear ID badges, or at least have their picture taken, even if they do not want to display it. Rev. Heslinga thought the HCOA board should also have ID badges.
There will be a Wii demonstration on June 18th at 10:00. The Wii system has been a lot of fun, good exercise and gives participants a chance to spend time with friends and interact with other seniors.
The senior center’s summer hours will begin on June 30 and last until August 29th. We will be open from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. If there is a run of very hot days, we will stay open longer, so that the seniors can enjoy the air conditioning.
Paula has been very happy to have Cheryl on board. They have been working on many different cases, and Cheryl has introduced the Angel Fund, which has helped a family pay a large portion of their heating bill. The Farmer’s Market coupons should be arriving this month. Paula and Cheryl will be able to shop and deliver produce to frail seniors.
Rick asked about Welcome Aldrich, and Cheryl was able to tell him that we just had some requests from people who were ill and out of work.
Al Ferron asked Dan Harrington to give him a price on a new van. Dan came back with a base price of $59,000.00. Dan suggested taking out one (1) wheelchair space and replacing it with two (2) seats. Al looked at our other van, and it does not have double seats. We can ask Dan to give us prices with other options. We can also try to get prices from RTA or the state bid list. Sue suggested that Jacquie check the state bid list and the RTA, and Al will ask Dan if we can get a better price. There are ongoing discussions with a significant donor. The van subcommittee will meet again on June 19th at 8:00 a.m. They should have a better idea at that time of prices. Sue asked Louise about resurrecting the senior center’s fund raising info. Rick thanked Sue for all of the work she has done to get this all together.
Jacquie Kelly spoke about the playground equipment being removed from the back of the senior center. It leaves a space that can be used to create an accessible area for seniors to be outside. Louise said that it will definitely enhance the building. This is something that the Friends may want to get involved in, and it could also be an Eagle Scout project. She will put a notice in the newsletter to try and get some input. The seniors should be involved in the planning.
It was unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting of June 5, 2008 at 8:50 a.m.