Town of Holden 1204 Main Street, Holden, MA 01520
Recreation Committee Meeting Minutes
March 10, 2009
Starbard Building @ 7:00p.m.
Members Present: Susan Serewicz, Richard Anderson, Lisa Post, Erin O'Neil Bradbury
Members Absent: Carmelo Bazzano
Others Present: Denise Morano, Recreation Director
The Recreation Committee meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM
MINUTES: A motion was made by Lisa Post and seconded by Susan Serewicz
The Recreation Committee minutes for January 13, 2009 have been accepted as written.
We have a new member to the Recreation Committee and would like to welcome Erin. Erin was a former lifeguard at the Holden pool and has recently moved back to Holden.
Directors Report - combined for February and March 2009
• Layout and More Scrap booking has 3; Yoga w/13; baby's first year w/4; Zentangle is a new class being offered in April. Latin dancing (Zumba) w/34; 3CPYo w/17; change it up w/8; Rock your Bod w/5 (teen class); Women's volleyball has approximately 18; and Men's basketball has around 30 men every Thursday evening. All committee members received a copy of the current adult class offerings.
• The Before and After School Programs in the month of February had 227 enrolled. As for the month of March we have 221 children enrolled every day.
• A copy of the 2009 summer brochure is included in your packets: the pool will open on weekends starting June 6 from 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. The last week of school the pool will open from 3:00 to 7:15. We will open the pool for the season on Saturday, June 27.
• A discussion took place regarding the lack of attendance at Eagle Lake, and having lifeguards on duty.
A motion was made by Richard to change the staffing needs of the lifeguards at Eagle Lake to reflect that lifeguards will be on duty "weekends only" from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Lisa 2nd the motion. It was accepted unanimously. A sign has been posted on the closed garage door stating that NO GUARDS ON DUTY.
• Counselor-In-Training - CIT's will no longer be given a pass simply because they sign up to help. Too often they do not fulfill their obligation.
• Recreation passes will go on sale beginning April 1, 2009.
• Registration for Holden residents is Saturday, May 9, from 9 to 12:00 p.m. at the Senior Center. A second registration is open to everyone and will be held on Sunday, May 17, from 11 to 1:00 p.m. at the Senior Center.
• A press release has been sent to the Landmark and Cable TV listing summer staff positions.
• I have purchased a tent (canopy) from Taylor Rental for $500.00 that will be used to provide protection from the rain during the summer. I hope to not have to cancel any morning programming because of weather. The All Day Program will be able to use it in the afternoon to provide them with a place to go and get out of the sun. I plan to put it down alongside the field.
• A "no skateboarding" sign has been ordered and will be posted at the Mountview tennis and basketball courts. I received a letter from a Mountview student regarding a Skateboard Park. I responded by letting the student know that $50,000.00 has been budgeted for the skate park. Hopefully he will be able to work with interested skateboarders and their parents to come up with plans, designs and fundraising ideas to help carry out his idea for a skateboard park.
• Several trees fell during the December storm at the Recreation area. The fences, tennis court lights and a telephone pole were damaged. The grove area needs trees to be cut and brush and limbs removed.
• All Town fields need tree limb and brush removal completed prior to releasing the fields.
• Kerry Boyle from Discovery Camp at Trout Brook may rent for fewer weeks this summer.
The next Recreation Committee meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 14th at 7 PM in the Starbard Building.
Meeting adjourned: 8:15 p.m.